Saturday, February 21, 2009

so...


so we came home from the hospital on Friday night, the 13th. Things were alright. She was trying to eat, milk still not quite in. Getting a little tired because she was up every couple of hours. Then the milk finally came in Sunday night. Doctor appointment Monday morning they tell me she is now 6lbs 15oz, that is an 11% drop and their safe point is 10%. So they had me give her a bit of formula right there, she drank about half and then spit most back up. They took her temp and it was 94. Also not good. They had me bundle her up and wait about 15 minutes and then they checked again. Still no change. So because of her age (5 days) and the temp she had to be taken to the ER. As I leave the doctors office and I am fighting back tears. This was not in my plan for the day to take my baby to the ER. I finally get there and break down in front of the check in lady at the front desk. We get her weight and temp again in the triage area, still low. They take me back and the doctor comes in and begins to list off the tests they are going to need to give Anna. IV of fluids, blood culture, urinalysis, lumbar puntcture (a spinal tap! on my 5 day old little girl) that is the one I lost it on. So for the next hour as they tried over and over again to get an IV into one of her tiny veins I sat there helplessly crying and watching as my little girl cried. Finally Matt got there and I was able to calm down a bit. We were sent out while they did the spinal tap. We came back and they told us there was no fluid so they were going to try again later. Great. Anna laid there under the warmer for some time while we waited. She had to be admitted and we got a room in the pediatric ward and settled in. We had to be there for 48 hours while she got two different antibiotics through her IV that finally went in her foot. She was all hooked up with wires and it was a task trying to not get them tangled as I tried to feed her. She was in an isolette for the night and morning then switched to an open bassinet to see if she could keep her temp up. She was checked every few hours for vitals and temp. Finally all the tests came back and all turned up negative. Oh, low temp in newborns is a sign of sepsis, some kind of infection. But there was nothing. She had even gained weight. Up to 7lbs 4oz when we left. So she is home now finally and doing very well. The doctor thinks that even though she didn't look like a preemie she was acting like a preemie not able to keep that temp up.
So that was the exciting week we've had.
Matt says we thought we got off easy not having to deal with a circumcision this time but she has made up for that now.

8 comments:

Alex McMurray said...

Deja vu! You recall that Claire came to the hospital with Roseola virus when Will was born. He ended up getting Roseola and had to have a spinal tap (etc etc etc). I forced myself to sit there and watch it. Talk about the toughest day of my life. Glad to hear things are going to work out.
Love,
Alex

Likely said...

MAx also had the spinal tap, the IV, the antibiotics.... it was awful! I truly truly know how you felt. Max was in the NICU for a week. Do you know that he still has a little red scar on the bottom of his foot from the needle??? I wonder if it will ever go away. It is kind of special to me though. It will always remind me of that difficult time we all went through together.

I am so happy that she is home safe and sound with all of you. We will continue to pray for her. We love all of you!

nichole said...

I'm so glad she's back home and everything's ok now!

Mauri said...

What a nightmare! I'm so glad to hear that she is doing great now. I'm so sorry you and your sweet little girl had to go through all that. Hopefully she will keep gaining weight and will be a little chubby thing before you know it!

The Hoopes Girls said...

It is heartbreaking and scary to imagine. I am glad to hear she is doing better.

Denise and Brandon said...

My little girl had the same tests done when she was a few weeks old...except it was for an elevated temp. Turned out to be nothing. (I think they got the temp wrong) I know how aweful and scary it is. So sorry you had to go through that. Glad everything is okay now.

Monson Family said...

Oh no! I'm happy that she is okay!!!

Jess and Jason said...

I am so glad that she is home now! She is adorable!